NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Sept. 11, 2008) — Bridgestone-brand Potenza™ RE-01R™ tires with UNI-T™ technology provided legendary performance for some of the top drivers in the world at the Toyota Race of Legends recently.
As part of the Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races annual event, ten celebrated F1 racers and one hot new star hit the track at the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, Calif., to compete in race-prepared Toyota Scion tC sport coupes equipped with Bridgestone’s most aggressive street tire – the Potenza RE-01R.
“The Potenza RE-01R with UNI-T is designed for every day street driving as well as occasional use in autocross or track day events,” said Phil Pacsi, Vice President, Consumer Tire Marketing, Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire, LLC (BFNT). “It delivers advanced dry grip and stable handling to cater to the serious sports car driver by offering a combination of on- and off-street extreme high-performance, making the Potenza RE-01R the perfect choice for this group of legendary racers.”
In addition to current 2007 GP2 Champion and Panasonic Toyota F1 driver Timo Glock, who took the Race of Legends’ checkered flag (and who also captured his first Formula 1 podium win on Bridgestone-brand Potenza race tires at the 2008 ING Hungarian Grand Prix on August 3), other racers spotted on Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires included;
- Derek Bell - Five-time winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans (1975, 1981, 1982, 1986 and 1987); two-time World Sportscar Champion (1986 and 1987); nine starts in Formula One driving for Ferrari, McLaren, Surtees and Tecno.
- Eddie Cheever – Made F1 debut at the age of 20 and subsequently raced in 132 F1 races, a record for an American driver; started 14 Indianapolis 500® races and captured the checkered flag in 1998.
- Alain de Cadenet –Finished third overall at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in his own car and won two rounds of the World Sportscar Championship at Monza and Silverstone in 1976; on-air personality for the SPEED Channel and ESPN; vintage car expert.
- Johnny Herbert – Finished fourth in his first F1 race in 1989; started 161 total F1 races with three wins and seven podium finishes; was a popular fixture at Benetton, Sauber, Stewart, Tyrrell and Lotus; winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- Jean-Pierre Jarier – Raced in 143 F1 races while regularly scoring points and podium finishes; drove for such teams as March, Ligier, Shadow and Tyrrell from 1971 to 1983; successfully raced sports cars after retiring from F1.
- Alan Jones – The 1980 F1 World Champion for Williams; captured 12 career wins and 24 podium finishes during his nine-year career; raced in the Australian Touring Car Championship and became an F1 commentator for Australian TV.
- Danny Sullivan – Collected 17 wins in the CART World Series, capped by the 1988 championship; 1985 Indianapolis 500®champion.
- Patrick Tambay – Winner of the 1977 Can-Am championship; debuted in F1 at the 1977 French Grand Prix with Surtees, garnering 114 starts, two wins and 11 podium finishes before retiring in 1986; drove for seven teams in his career, including Ferrari, McLaren and Renault.
- John Watson – Recorded 152 F1 starts, five wins, 20 podium finishes and third in the 1982 drivers' championship; during his 11-year F1 career, he drove for Penske, Brabham and McLaren; popular race commentator.
The Bridgestone-brand Potenza RE-01R with UNI-T features a racing slit for improved ground contact and grip, wide circumferential rib to enhance initial handling response and stability, a cooling slit for advanced durability at high speeds and high temperatures and large stabilized shoulder blocks to improve lateral stiffness. The tire is available in 21 fitments, up to 19” in size and aspect ratios from 30-50 series.
About Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire, LLC:
Nashville, Tenn.-based Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire, LLC (BFNT) is a subsidiary of Bridgestone Americas Holding, Inc., whose parent company, Bridgestone Corporation, is the world’s largest tire and rubber company. BFNT develops, manufactures and markets Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires. The company is focused on wholesale and original equipment markets, supplying passenger, light truck, commercial vehicle, off road, motorcycle, agricultural and other tires to its customers in North America. In addition, through its Bridgestone Bandag Tire Solutions unit, retreading customers have access to industry-leading research and development, manufacturing, marketing and sales expertise, providing them with a total tire solution.