BLOOMINGDALE, Ill. (July 10, 2008) – Local Girl Scouts are more confident on the road after participating in an award-winning Firestone Complete Auto Care™ Car Care Academy — not to mention a bit savvier now that they know how to maximize a vehicle’s fuel efficiency.
The Girl Scouts of the USA, through its “On The Road” program and in partnership with Firestone Complete Auto Care, has helped develop the next generation of safe drivers and leaders by educating, empowering and inspiring young women to practice safe driving habits and proper vehicle maintenance, as well as encouraging them to consider career options in the automotive industry. The 2008 nationwide Girl Scouts Car Care Academy tour reached hundreds of participants in Arkansas, Hawaii, Ohio, Michigan, Montana, New York, Rhode Island, Mississippi and Oregon.
Basic car care helps ensure safety on the road, but how about money in the pocket? Trisha Hessinger, automotive education specialist for Firestone Complete Auto Care’s Girl Scouts Car Care Academies, provides a few valuable tips that all drivers should follow as gas prices skyrocket with the summer temperature:
– Slow down. Vehicles use less fuel the slower they travel. By dropping your highway speed by 10 miles per hour (mph), you will see big savings at the pump — but be sure to follow legal guidelines about minimum speed limits.
– Check up. Look over your owner’s manual to make sure your vehicle’s scheduled maintenance is up to date, and inspect your vehicle’s fluids to make sure they are all at the recommended levels. If you are uncertain whether your vehicle’s status is current, have it inspected by a certified technician to ensure your vehicle is running as efficiently as possible.
– Air up. Make sure your tires are properly inflated according to the vehicle's specifications (check the sticker on the inside door jamb or the owner’s manual). Check your air pressure at least once a month, as your tires can lose up to one pound per square inch (PSI) every 30 days and their pressure can fluctuate based on the temperature.
– Line up. Have your vehicle’s alignment and tires checked according to your vehicle manufacturers’ recommended maintenance schedule and at least once a year. Anything you can do to help your tires roll smoothly will result in improved fuel mileage.
– Lighten up. Extra weight in your vehicle makes it work harder, hence reduced fuel efficiency. If you have a trunk full of junk or unused bike racks, ski racks or an aftermarket rooftop cargo carrier, remove it for better fuel economy.
– Roll up. Keep the windows rolled up. Your vehicle’s aerodynamics will be more streamlined, thus reducing the drag and improving the mileage.
For more than 30 years, Firestone Complete Auto Care has been conducting awardwinning Car Care Academies — free, hands-on demonstrations that teach car care tips and techniques to help drivers save money and stay safer on the road. For Hessinger’s valuable car care tips or more information on the Car Care Academies, visit www.FirestoneCompleteAutoCare.com.
About Firestone Complete Auto Care:
Firestone Complete Auto Care™ is owned and operated by BFS Retail & Commercial Operations, LLC (BFRC). In addition to being a leading retailer for passenger and light truck tires, technicians perform repairs, routine maintenance and a variety of diagnostic services covering major systems within a vehicle. With locations throughout the United States, Firestone Complete Auto Care offers competitive prices on a large selection of brand name tires. To learn more about tires, vehicle maintenance, career opportunities or Firestone Complete Auto Care locations, visit www.FirestoneCompleteAutoCare.com or call 1-800-LOCATE-US.
About BFS Retail & Commercial Operations, LLC:
BFS Retail & Commercial Operations, LLC (BFRC) is headquartered in Bloomingdale, Ill., and operates the largest network of company-owned automotive service providers in the world — more than 2,000 tire and vehicle service centers across the United States — including Firestone Complete Auto Care™, Tires Plus™, ExpertTire™ and Wheel Works™ store locations. Credit First National Association and Firestone Complete Fleet Care™ operations are also part of BFRC. BFRC is a member of the Bridgestone Americas family of companies.